Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year - New Toy



Happy new year!  I adore "fresh starts." New year, new sketch books and new toys to play with.  The "art" above is a far cry from what I had imagined but I couldn't resist trying out my brand new Speedball, Elegant Writer pens a friend gave me.  When touched with water the ink bleeds....

Bleeding ink would be a huge liability if I had just spent hours doing a precise piece in calligraphy...and then sneezed.  But some smart cookie figured out how to use the bleed and market it for the art value of it.  (watch it here if you wish). 

So I ventured in again:


The idea, obviously, is to plan ahead and then control the bleed....encouraging it to flow and change color.  When blotted almost dry it shows as magenta.  Which got me thinking: isn't the black ink on our printer made up of the blue, magenta and yellow ink?  at any rate, with a little (well, a lot) of practice, one could really have some fun with this.  The video, and my fellow artist friend, got to where they could control the bleed for shadows and then go back in with a color and complement the entire piece.  Once the ink is "activated" it will not run again.  

Which just goes to show that one can make art out of almost anything...or find a new and wonderful use for the fault of some piece of equipment.  So intriguing.

I enjoyed my glass (or two) of bubbly last night.  


May you, too, have a new year full of art ....more to come in 2016!

With best wishes 
and much gratitude for your continued support,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.