Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, January 22, 2016

UP in FLAMES!

Time for the annual burn...


It has become an annual event: a cold night bonfire to offer up art of the past year: failed experiments, pieces that didn't make the "cut," damaged frames and the like.  I have friends who lament this process (and one who tried to abscond with some in the dark of night) but I stick to my guns.  The why is difficult to explain except that it is hard to see your "not best" work in the world regardless of what someone else thinks of it.  It is also a practical move: one cannot afford to house the 10,000 pieces it takes to perfect any particular craft.  So burn it is.

This being the Year of the Downsize we added a few additional pieces to the ritual: diplomas (no office walls), journals (boring even to me), cast off poetry (my Rod McKuen-esque phase) and a few family portraits that I couldn't bear to send to the dump to be chewed up with everyone's garbage.  A funeral pyre is so much more dignified and ceremonial.


Good bye old paintings, you were important stepping stones to my future.


There is only a pile of ashes in our fire pit this morning.  But instead of sadness my heart is filled with wide open space ready to be filled with new work and as-of-yet unpainted masterpieces.  Only by clearing out space, mentally and physically, do I have the room to make new.  Try it. ** Let me know what you think.

NEW COLORS COMING,
CINDY
** I would be remiss if I did not remind you that these bonfires should take place outside in the open air.  Some types of paints, leathers, photo-finishes etc are more toxic than others and should not be directly inhaled.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.