Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, April 20, 2012

She's an Open Book

Not only is she an open book but she got
mentioned...honorably!


The guild where I paint had decided to have a self-portrait show.  I had a
previously done one under the bed so I decided just for fun to try
and execute an idea I had been toying around with for a while in my head.
I wanted to make a book-like painting.
A painting that was acceptable on the surface but then opened to
several more possibilities.
So this is the result.
I've been working in black and white for a bit so I kept with the theme (and
those who know me well know that adding a little red reveals my interior and
wardrobe colors!)
I used two deep cradled wooden panels and gessoed them well before painting.
The insides were a bit of this and that collage, after all this was just an
experiment.  After adding two hinges ( harder than it sounds) and an
appropriate lock (a real brain teaser) here is what I had.

The left side, below, represents my first 50 years of life: yep, a bit of a loud
mouth, an organizer, someone who wanted to lead.

And the right side of course symbolizes the next fifty years: much more of a
seeker, a follower, trudging uphill and enjoying the adventure of it all.


Well, I had no illusions of a prize with such an irreverent piece but I was tickled that
the judge insisted on awarding an honorable mention as he
found it too creative to ignore.

With that bit of encouragement I have additional more art books on the drawing board...and
this time I will have the kinks all worked out.

p.s. everyone should do a self-portrait, it really makes you think about
yourself and the image you project versus what you wish you
projected....hmmmmm


need I say: this piece is NFS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.