Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I can't stop myself....

I've got it bad, I know I do!  Sometimes we need to be saved from ourselves.  Stones now occupy every facet of my creative mind and if someone doesn't stop me soon I may ....who knows??  Anyway, thought I would share the latest shiny object that caught my attention.
I had contacted a jeweler in NC with the idea of him making me a couple of tiny cairns out of river stones...he thought he could so I commissed two of them and have really enjoyed them.  About a year later I was playing with stones on the banks of the Watagua River and had the bright idea (!) of making a keychain.  As usually happens,
one thing led to another and before I knew it I was playing around with the cairns myself...as well as earrings and whathaveyous.
I was blowing drill bits like crazy (not to mention stones) so just for the heck of it decided to see if I could "make" stones out of polymer clay. 
These proved to be much more lightweight.
I've got friends "product testing" the keychains in clay to see how they holdup; the earrings are fun to wear, long and dangly and the pendants say "river gal" all over them.  Oh, I did stick pins, flat pins and have a request for hair sticks.  I have short hair so these may pose a challenge but as soon as they are finished the clay goes back into the (back of the) closet.
Whew!  Glad I got that out of my system!

3 comments:

  1. I almost can't believe these are polymer, they're gorgeous! Great job and I love how the stones are stacked, just like they are in the river. Great job, I love them. Being obsessed keeps the creative juices flowing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Kirk, at least you didn't assume I was stoned! Yep, Kelly, I tend to milk a topic til I'm wrung out...but it's fun.

    ReplyDelete

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.