Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, July 20, 2018

Test Tile = Epic Fail!?

It's not really a "test" if you do the
same ole same ole over again.  Only if there is
a risk or an element of uncertainty
 is it really, truly a "test."

At least that is what I am telling myself.  After a few "tests" that went extraordinarily well I got to feeling a little too comfortable in my 9 x 12 fast paced experiments.  I could feel hesitation creeping in and I knew I was taking the "safe" road.  Here are two quickies that I did in acrylic:



Both are layouts done quickly to see if I like the composition (check).  Both are awaiting the next layer to be done in oil.  Both are incredibly GREEN.  



So I tackled this one first.  I really loved the sunlight that was cast strongly on the opposite shore and peeked through the leaves onto the foreground trees.  Above you see a bit more application of oil paint.


I worked my way into the scene and paused.  Evaluation time.  I liked the foreground; the little hints of warm colors really made the shore line move forward.  But the rest: boring.  This kind of scene is a "dime a dozen" and while nothing was really wrong with it there was nothing very interesting about it either.  Not an exciting test.  Soooooo...

Balls to the wall: coulda shoulda woulda.


Well.......
I have bad news and I have good news!  This is clearly not a great painting, but it is a great experiment.  We have two color palates going on here and they do not dance well together.  The upper left quadrant has possibilities  The lower left quadrant is still interesting.  But nothing else seems to jive with an overall look.  Test tile FAIL.  As in "don't try this again."  But...the good news is

I did not stay "safe" (i.e. "boring").  I reminded myself that careful thought about choosing a color palate BEFORE starting a piece is time well spent.  If the greens were too too (green) then I should not start with them.  The color must develop organically, from the bottom layer to the top....not a hastily added as an afterthought.   

I also reminded myself that as long as the values read well (that is, dark is dark and light is light) it really won't matter if the tree is red or green.  I just need to decide first whether I am going for excitement or realism and stick to the plan.  Test tile SUCCESS.   

This is probably far more than you wish to know about building a painting but it is all part and parcel of the time spent prepping for that masterpiece that comes together seemingly so easily.  These are the practice pieces that no one ever sees, the prototypes that never see the light of day.  I just think it is interesting to share the fact that those who make art encounter the same problems as those who make cars: not all great ideas work.  Tweak.  Re-tool.  Try, try again.  Failures are sometimes much more informative than successes.

I promise that you will see a painting from this reference photo again.  You may not recognize it.  But I will take all of the data I have gathered from this "epic fail" and hopefully render a much more pleasing (and interesting) piece in the near future.  Stay tuned.

EXPERIMENTALLY YOURS,
Cindy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.