Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, June 9, 2017

Painting Up Sticks

Sometimes I work so hard on a painting
that my poor brain needs a break...but my hands
want to keep moving.  Times like that I tend to default to an
easy paint project that keeps my brushes moving while my 
brain goes on autopilot.  Here's a task for just that time.

For some reason painted sticks are all the rage now.  Just check out Pinterest (if you can open).  Or try a google search.  I am always coming home from a hike with interesting sticks (and stones) in my pockets so I decided that the next time I needed a low-impact job I would paint some sticks.

plain old sticks...but I did
learn that the wider the diameter, the easier to work with



some of the bark will flip off easily, some will need urging; 
where it won't budge just ease the transition with sandpaper


start going wild....I began really carefully attending to edges but soon
found that it really didn't matter.  I used acrylic paint but found my
leftover or sample wall paints really easy to put on; again, the skinny
sticks were a bit hard to add much decoration to

My grands are still a tad young to be trying this but I think it might be fun to do with kids, you could even do a hiking stick to use later on.  Other ideas are to "plant" in a potted plant for color, put in the garden as a marker or pile up in a glass jar just because.  I did it mostly for mental relaxation but here is what I ended up with:

poised in a kenyan they almost look like dancers


simple colors that might end up in my flower bed


these are my favorite


curtain call for the afternoon

So this gives me just one more reason to gather sticks, and I'm hunting some fatter ones so I can go crazy with designs.  Most likely these will end up in the garden as temporary decor while waiting for the flowers to bloom.  And the fact that they probably won't last will give me another reason to experiment again next spring.  

Whether you do this to make an orchid support, to entertain some young ones or just to occupy your hands: have fun.  There's no way to go wrong!

STICKING WITH COLOR,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.