Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, August 12, 2016

Deep Woods

“A painting requires a little mystery, some vagueness, 
and some fantasy. When you always make your meaning perfectly plain 
you end up boring people” 
― Edgar Degas

When I was first learning to paint from photographs I had a wonderful teacher who would let me go just so far and then insist I get rid of the photo.  This can make a student very nervous but is an excellent way to learn how to make "art" as opposed to making a copy.  I couldn't agree with Degas more: a little mystery to the meaning is much more intriguing.

I love to hike altho I often prefer to meander...my hiking friends move along so fast that I often miss the thrill of the wander.  When I head out by myself I see things that are never captured in a photo and the best result is what I feel.  The breeze, the smells, the sounds...they make one feel something that is hard to paint.  How to capture that for a viewer?  I keep trying.


"Deep Woods" oil, 30 x 30
framed
Crossnore Gallery of Fine Art


If you have ever settled down on a rock, alone, deep in the woods and gazed at the wonders before you then you know this scene well.  Sometimes joy is calming and subdued, somethings it is a riot of color and crazy smells.  On certain days it is all of the above ...and more.


detail of  "Deep Woods"


Hope your day is color full,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.