Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Jetty Park Plein Air

Day #14
My painting gang, the Pieces of 8, meets on Monday and as Florida is at its prime in January, we took a "field trip" up to Jetty Park near Port Canaveral for a day of plein air painting and photography.  The birds really showed off for us and we had a delightful lunch on the river.  But we also managed to squeeze in some art!  After getting as many photos as I could take (from a compromised position, often having someone else push the shutter while I aimed the lens...) I sat down to paint the inlet area between the ocean and the port.


I decided to use just my ink pen since setting up the watercolors was going to be a bit challenging.  My 5" x 5" square was blocked off on my pad so I settled in to enjoy the sun, the water and the birds.  I wasn't totally finished when the gang declared that lunch was in order, so I snapped a photo to finish up at home.  I wanted to add some color as well since the composition was pretty much straight lines and rocks.


I got home late and went into the studio to work.  I found myself relying primarily on memory since photos never seem to capture the entire view.  Now if it were not w/c and if I was not racing a clock, I can see a few changes I would definitely make.  However, my goal was met: a gorgeous day out on the water, painting, eating, exploring and taking mental notes for a future masterpiece.  When I finished the piece at 5:00 pm the sun was down so I had to take the photograph inside which is not ideal.


Honest to Pete, that middle spit of land does not, in reality, sag so sadly into the the water...if it did I am certain the Army Corp of Engineers would be there today!  Just a loss of control on my part.  Some days you win and some days you should try again.  But I got my money's worth from the day of fun, plein air painting AND the attempt. And my left hand did not complain.

Stay tuned...Day #15 is only 24 short hours away.

To see more painters who are in on 30 in 30 go to: www.Lesliesaeta.blogspot.com

P.S.   I don't always get each painting posted into my etsy shop right away, if you are interested in a previous piece let me know and I will get it up asap.  For this month only they are $30 each + shipping, my 30 in 30 for 30$ special.

2 comments:

  1. I can feel that Florida sunshine! Love those blues and golds. Enjoyed your blog…i"ll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, do return, come some afternoon and I'll pour us a glass of wine while we chat art!

    ReplyDelete

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.