Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, January 10, 2014

Day #10: Provence

I wanted to do this photo from Provence because I loved the cool blues against the warm orangey color of the building.  But i also saw a lot of straight lines that really needed to be .... straight!  so, i cut these strips of masking tape (scissors helped) and laid them out on my paper.  I just peeled them off and moved them around until i had painted in a few of the longest lines in the design. i would have to punt on the windows and doors.

In retrospect this was a challenging picture to choose and not just because it is composed primarily of straight lines.  As i began i realized that my limited knowledge of watercolor prevented me from making the many shadows as interesting as i imagined them.  i couldnt remember whether they go down first or last and i got rather tangled up in the layering.  But i still think it came out as a crisp reminder of a lovely scene i captured one morning while exploring a small French village in Provence.


"Provence"
7" x 5"  watercolor on paper

I feel funny referring to these pieces as my left handed work as there are many left handed painters who dont see this effort as a 'big deal.'  A friend suggested calling them my southpaw creations. One elaborated on this calling it spaw or s'paw for short. Another friend suggested the "sinistra series" as sinistra is latin for left side.  I've also seen such referred to as "off hand" or non-dominant hand work.  I suppose I'll continue to use a combo of all these references.  Whatever we call it, i appreciate your comments and support.  And it tickles me that many of you want to hang these "limited edition" masterpieces!!



3 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,
    I am really enjoying your paintings. I especially love your Provence painting. Really admire you for working
    with your non-habitual hand, what a great thing for your brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great...straight lines and all.

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! thanks Fay and Terry...but I'm falling behind....don't kick me to the curb if I take a day off - this off hand thing is a wonderful challenge but sure eats up the day!!

    ReplyDelete

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.