Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Routes of Memory

Routes of Memory

I could not wind up my tree series until I had painted the specimen below.  We
"found" it while hiking out in Glacier National Park; it absolutely captivated me so  I took a lot of photos.  For many reasons it was intriguing and fascinating.
  Home again, it continued to haunt me as I realized how very little I knew about
"my" tree: how old was it, what kind of tree was it, was it still living?
This is how paintings start!

Pretty soon I was imagining conversations with Mr. Tree about
all the harsh weather he had lived through, all the vegetation he had seen
come and go, all the hikers he had watched pass by.  I was
certain that my tree had stories to tell about the history he
has seen and lived through.
This is how artists go mad!

Anyway, here is my effort.


You don't have to understand it.  I won't be offended.
But I'll give you a hint as to why I surrounded my
tree with all those beautiful computer chips.
We record the passage of time in so many ways, we write it, we store it,
we photograph it, we catalogue it and we file it.
But time is also recorded in so many other ways: the lines on
a face, the cracks in a stone, the depth of a river and
the bend of a tree.

One is not better than the other, just different.  It's
important that we take notice of both.

#

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.