Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Thursday, May 10, 2012

At Surf Side

Have you ever met someone that you felt immediately as if you had known them for a long while?
That happened recently when my painting gang (Pieces of 8) took a collector up
on her generous offer to come spend some time with her at her beach house in Surfside, So. Carolina.
Nope, no one had ever met her, nor she us.  We are all just a little wacky that way.
So off we went to the land of the Grand Strand, shagging on the beach, shrimp right
off the boat, paintable gardens and lots of long chats and laughs.
It was amazing.  She was amazing...
and generous and fun!
Finally we had to rest...no field trips please, we begged...just a long day soaking up
the gorgeous, wide hard-packed beach.
Of course I took my pencils and here is my ode to Surfside:
SURF SIDE
(2 panels) 7" x 5" each

After my stroll along the shore I sat down and begin to draw my handful of shells
and stones I had found.  What could be better than sketching with the
sound of the ocean and the waves licking your toes?


Later I toted the panels home and began to add the colors in acrylic paints keeping the shells in graphite and white.  I then added just the barest touch of pinkish colored pencil to some spots for a bit of delicate contrast.   The panels need no framing as the design is carried throughout all four sides of both panels.

These two pieces work as one painting and while they are made to hang vertically (see top photo) they work equally well side by side....or split them forever and share one with a friend!

Anyway, we can't thank our hostess with the mostess enough...for an insiders introduction to the wonders of the South Carolina coast as well as an endless amount of inspiration.
Guaranteed you will see some more art coming from that wonderful trip to Surfside!


2 comments:

  1. What a cool idea for a diptych!
    And I had to smile when you wrote "shagging" on the beach. Not sure what you meant by that, but in the UK it means something entirely different. Or at least I think it does! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk - the shag is the state dance (!) of South Carolina done to "beach music." It is like a slower jitterbug but taken very, very seriously...quite fun to watch. Surely you know beach music (even with a Stetson on your head!!) So I'll go back "...under the boardwalk..."

    ReplyDelete

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.