Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Caution: Work Zone

Have you ever thought about your work habits?  Artists have as many routines as
other professions and about as many "must have" quirks.
I confess that I "must have" several irons in the fire; that
is, I am happiest and most productive when I have more than one
project or painting, on deck.
I know others that absolutely will not start a new piece until the
previous one is signed and sealed.  But that is not me.  I bounce around from
piece to piece sometimes painting on as many as 4 or 5 a day.  Why?


I have found that when I hit a hard spot I need to leave the piece and let the brain
work on it away from the easel.  Consciously or sub-consciously I
solve the dilemna and
am restored and recharged when I return to the piece.
This is a current shot of my studio.
I count 5 pieces out and in progress.  Another reason I like this method
is that when I take a break I can sip some tea, sit in a chair
opposite of this "mess" and easily evaluate what needs to be done.
I can seperate the forest and trees so to speak.  A painting may be neglected for several days while
I contemplate what it needs.  Or it may fall together quickly.
Much like when I worked in an office and wrote ad copy, or organized events or
handled citizen inquiries. 
Are your work habits fairly consistent...do you know why?


Post a Comment