Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Therapeutic powers of art

My mother shared this story about the pastel painting above which I loaned her for the hallway of the place where she lives:

"There is a gentleman who lives in our building and I see him often coming and going
to eat.  He never speaks to anyone and appears to be very lonely and
in his own world...oblivious to most everything and everyone around him.
Your painting was leaning against the wall near the elevator when I approached and
noticed him looking at it closely, his head cocked to the side to see it
properly.  I smiled, picked it up, got on the elevator and he got
on with me, all the while looking at the large painting I had.

"Those girls are Mexican, aren't they?" he tentatively questioned.  When I replied yes, they
were, he smiled.  "My parents took me to Mexico," he said quietly, "when I was a little boy,
about 8 or 10 years old." 
For the next several floors he quietly told me about the trip...probably more conversation
than he had had with anyone since he moved in."  I was amazed....the
painting touched something in him and suddenly he wanted to share it...with a
stranger. Regardless of who else sees it, your painting has already
provided some "therapy" for this gentleman.  Thanks for letting
us hang it.   love, Mom"


Wow...this painting, beautifully framed, was in a closet at home.  It hadn't found a buyer and I had sentimental reasons for not destroying it.  Little did I know that it had a different purpose and just needed to get to the right location.  Sharing your art can provide some priceless benefits.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Cindy. What a beautiful story, and a good reminder of the power of art and beauty. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chills and tears, all at the same time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome story, Cindy. Makes you feel good to know you've touched someone positively with your art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just never know, do you? what will affect someone in a positive way? One of the many wonders of the power of art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful vibrant color . . . makes you come alive! I love your story and your postscript . . . need to remember that when I'm reluctant to part with something. Art can be the best communicator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUCH a wonderful story Cindy....Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.