Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Monday, April 25, 2011

Never be afraid to try!

 I love new toys...its my weakness: chasing after shiny objects!  so I was game when a fellow artist cleared her closet of a few tools for carving a block print.  Never mind I had never done one before...I already had a major project that needed just that touch. 
So I cut.


 My first attempts at "printing" were not so hot, witness below.  Then I remembered that somewhere I had another toy, a brayer, and if I put the paper on the block (instead of the block on the paper) and ran it over with the brayer....voila!

These were my first efforts: #1 being upper left corner.  Numbers 3 and 4 have some "spots" but I will call those "character" and not toss them.  Now I know why a numbered series of prints is so difficult, imagine how many you have to trash to get a decent amount...and I was only printing once, not several times.

Of course I had to try a new color!  Pretty in pink, no? Now, my concern is that the piece I am printing on is wooden...there will be no way to run the brayer over it.  And I will have to use oil (that's another story) or it won't stick and these experiments were in acrylic.
Oh well, fools run in where angels fear to tread and I am nothing if not a fool...about new toys anyway.
I'll let you know how the eventual masterpiece comes together, or perhaps IF it comes together.

Post a Comment