Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Humble Glory

Carns are the workhorses of the flower world: they fill in the gaps, they provide background color so others can shine, they get little acclaim, and they are cheap.  Maybe for all those reasons and more (they last forever, take abuse, and are always available) I happen to favor this humble specimen.  This is one of several pieces I have done featuring carnations and as it is on a black surface it is hard to photograph without a glare.

Actually this painting starts as a drawing: colored pencil, some china marker and graphite.  Then I add a bit of white acrylic paint and, just for some glory, finish with a bit of gold here and there.  It is all sealed and finished with varnish and looks elegant in its wide antique gold frame. 

You can see it at our Dec 4 studio tour....until someone plucks it to shine in a place of honor in their home.  (7 x 5 w/o frame).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.