Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, August 17, 2018

That Easy, Peaceful Feeling

Some scenes you never tire of.  Such is the
path in the reference photo I used below.  I have painted
it numerous times.  I have had several students
take it on.  It's never the same and the story always
unfolds slightly differently.

I think I took the photo on a hike out west but I wouldn't swear to it.  It's one of those personal yet generic photos of a path in the mountains.  It offers foreground, middle ground, background and sky.  There's a rhythm to the path and it's my go-to when I need to visit a familiar place while painting.




I started this in oil using a lot of medium to build up some texture.  You can easily see the wide brush strokes left from the first layer of paint.


I enjoy starting several pieces at a time so that I don't overwork them and have something to do while the first ones dry.


I refined my colors a bit using the texture of the first layer and adding more where I could.  


And slowly I tightened things up, softened some edges and planted the flowers.  By this stage I was meandering slowly down the path thinking it might take a downward slant just around the bend.  I was looking forward to seeing if the flowers would blanket a meadow below or if more rocks might show up so I could sit on them and breath a bit.  Sometimes painting is a bit like watching the travel channel, you can visit wherever you wish without leaving home.  Doesn't that mountain air smell good?

"That Easy, Peaceful Feeling"
oil, 12 x 16, unframed
on canvas

Hiking the Easy Way,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.