Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, September 23, 2016

The Gathering

Sometimes a moment just begs to be painted.
The minute you see the scene it is as if
it was put there just for the artists' eye, to be
captured and preserved forever in paint.

Such was the history behind this painting, "The Gathering."  I spent the morning at a friend's farm and after we gathered flowers I laid my basket down to run in and fetch something.  When I returned I paused, slowly I took in the scene before me: the garden in the distance, the old milk can, the peeling chair and my freshly cut flowers.  I savored it.  The smells, the sounds, the colors are with me to this day.  But before I moved on I reached in my back pocket and took a photo.  

Days later I remembered the photo and printed it out to see if I might be able to paint from it.  I really wanted to preserve that rustic yet fresh atmosphere and I knew I had a challenge before me.




I began with a gold and a gold/green wash on the white canvas and then lightly sketched out the chair using a piece of white chalk.  When I was fairly certain of my most important lines I used a brush and a liquidy-wash of burnt sienna to draw in my guide.

Then the painting fun began.  Apparently I was so engrossed I forgot to take photos.  I do remember telling my self to "slow down, slow down, slooooow down."  I wanted to leave some "raw-ness" to the rendering and I know my tendency to get bogged down in painting the details which, I think, tightens up the overall feel.

Paint, sit and look.  Walk around.  Paint.  Back off.  Mull.  Go away.  Come back.  Study.  Paint.

I am learning (or trying to learn) to think at least twice as long as paint.  Easier said than done.


The Gathering, oil, 24 x 20
(waiting for its frame)
available

So here is the result.  The flowers eventually found a vase and then died but the wonderful morning is still with me as I remember the air, the smells, the colors...and how the still life magically appeared and asked me to paint it.

Color Fully Yours,
Cindy  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.