Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, March 18, 2016

Creative Comfort Zones

Everyone I know has a "creative comfort zone."  They may not label it as such but it is an area in which they feel competent, know the buzz words, and gravitate towards naturally.  It may be work or play but it gives them a feeling of accomplishment and pride.  Can you name (one of) yours?

Now, not many of us intentionally leave that zone when it comes to choice of activities.  Why?  I imagine that its because in a world that continually makes us feel less than adequate we tend to spend all the time we can doing things that we know are well done.  But maybe if we labeled this leave taking something else?  Would we then venture forth more boldly?

I don't know.  Just wondering.  Please share.

Meanwhile, I got a chance to dabble outside of my comfort zone recently at the Penland School of Crafts Community Open House.  This well known campus opened its studios stocked with volunteers to give visitors a taste test of the skills it offers in workshops.  Youngsters, blue haired teens, parents and folks like me all gathered to try our hand at a variety of skills.


Each studio had a project pre-planned.  Here I am experiencing the feel of a loom.  Waaaay out of my zone as it involves feet, hands and an ability to chart patterns.  Thankfully we were only making coasters....(since there was no line behind me I got a little extra length on my coaster....soon to be a hanging.)  But I left with a new appreciation for weavers and their art.  I also left thinking about color and texture and bo-coo things I could apply to painting.

Let's try something new this week....something that holds a chance of failure, a sense of confusion, a bit of imbalance when compared to the place we usually like to hang.  A new taste, a different skill...I know I'm not the first to challenge you, but I'd love for you to share.

COLORFULLY Outside My Zone,
Cindy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.