Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, November 16, 2012

One Photo = Many Paintings

My friend Patti the potter has chickens behind her studio and all of them have names and stories and personality.  This fall I took my painting gang to visit Patti and after a lovely studio chat we ventured into the rain to see the chicks.  This is a photo taken by Donna through the fencing of Brave Betty and Annie.  Don't they look like models coming down the runway wearing the latest in chic fashion?

With Donna's permission I used the photo to launch a couple paintings.

Chicks with Attitude
12 x 12 x 2   gesso, acrylic and oil on board
 
 
I had a recycled board covered with black gesso and decided to have some fun.  What you don't see in this photo is that when all done I plugged a couple of screw holes on either side of the 2" cradle with porcelain knobs...because the screws fit?  But, hey, it's a great place to hang dish towels to dry!
 
 
Annie & Brave Betty Strut Their Stuff
27 x 9  gesso, acrylic, colored pencil, china marker on tin
 
 
Somewhere I had picked up a couple pieces of tin roofing and once again decided to play around with my (Patti's) chickens.  Same photo, but totally different interpretation.  It has taken me years to realize that I do not have to be a slave to the photo...as the artist I am in control and can do whatever I please.  After all, had I not shared the photo you would not know that other chicks and piles of straw were even in the shot.  True liberation comes too late in life!


p.s. I do not know if the version of text you receive has the words "knobs" and "roofing" double underscored?  If so, these are NOT my inserted links....apparently blogger is finding words to link up paid advertisers.  Not a lot I can do about this.  My links will not be double underlined.  I'll try to learn more...thanks for understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.