Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Baring One's Soul



Ouch! what was I thinking?  I just delivered the art for an upcoming gallery show and somewhere en route felt all my previous joy and self-confidence drain away.  What if no one "gets" these pieces?  What if no one likes the work?  What if the whole point in working for a year on one obscure subject is lost in translation?  I must confess that I feel as if I will be standing naked in front of a whole lot of people...or worse: in front of no one. 

But then my adult voice rises and reassures my child that I enjoyed every minute of the work; that I loved the research involved in diving into the topic at hand; and that the challenge of collaborating with a poet and a friend was marvelous.  So what?  Who cares?

I care.

This angst is not unique....we all share it at some time or another. Anytime you put your heart and soul into your work and then go before the public/boss/judge/parent/teacher figure it is very painful.   I just wanted to be certain that readers who do not paint realize that making art is not all "fun and relaxation."  And I want fellow artists who "have been there, done that"  to send me those vibes of good will reminding me, as always, I will survive and be stronger for it!

Join us Friday, September 2
77 Ruffin Street, Linville, NC
for the opening of
THE STONES SPEAK

a collaborative show of poetry and art featuring the work of
Fay Picardi and Cindy Michaud
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
the exhibit will hang thoughout the month

Post a Comment