Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Second Verse Same as the First

I know this is a bit unusual even for me....but somehow when I am involved in a specific project I just feel the need to go waaaaay outside my boundaries, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.  Actually this is only  1/3 of the entire piece (stay tuned).  And it is for a show March 10 -12 (details to come).  That said, let me explain:

Given the opportunity to "collaborate" I usually jump so my hat was in the ring when the quilters called and asked me to work with a fiber artist from a theme of our choice.  Andrea Luliak and I decided, after a little mulling, to bounce off the Rhapsody in Blue piece composed by George Gershwin in 1924.  (Little did I suspect that Miss A was a former music major in college.  She definitely had the advantage.)  Anyway, we jointly decided to each produce a piece that had three segments, joined vertically, and inspired by the music.

This is the top of mine, you can tell that without a musical bone in my body I went full on for the historical aspect of the piece.  Meanwhile, seeing Andrea's for the first time yesterday I actually hear the music...and not a blue piece of fabric in it!  That's art for you.

2 comments:

  1. Love this music quilt for some reason I rarely see that theme thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I had the luck of working with a fiber artist who was a music major in her first life! When push comes to shove we learn something new. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.